LimitRequestBody setting to maximize the upload file size (please help)
Joe Smith
2005-01-07 15:52:54 UTC
I added the line LimitRequestBody 204800000 to /usr/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf, in order to maximize the upload file size. Currently, the Apache web server returns HTTP response"HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large" immediately to the browser if file size > 10MB.

Even I added LimitRequestBody setting, and restarted the server by sudo /usr/HTTPServer/bin/apachectl stop, sudo /usr/HTTPServer/bin/apachectl start, it is still unable to upload a huge file size.

By the way, this is the HTTP response:

HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

any ideas? please help. thanks!!

Nick Kirby
2005-01-07 15:56:22 UTC
Yes I did, thanks for those. None help though, the PC has no firewall,
deliberately to minimise possibilities.

I've opened DNS externally, not sure what difference this will/could make,
but apparently the trace is falling over at my ISP, not at my end.

Many thanks for everyone's help, this is not an Apache thing, and people
have been very accomodating.

Hopefully I can give something back sometime soon.

Nick

2005-01-07 21:13:54 UTC
From: "Boyle Owen"
Post by Nick Kirby
Did you read the other threads
- it's a very common mystery
What year were they and
what year is it now?

And were they _all_, as usual,
Windows lack of know how
errors?

Commonly called user errors?

And were most running something
else to get "free" stuff?

And were most not even able to
tell what was running on their
systems?

Next time you would be better off
answering these type of Windows
questions (if at all) by sending them
to a Windows Scripting link. A link
where at least they will start to learn
something about their systems!

Tell 'em to look under process,
network (and etc.) type of headings.

The Script Center

The Script Center Repository
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx

Running Your Scripts
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsRunningYourScripts.asp
Post by Nick Kirby
192.16.1.2.80
Not this case
but an FYI

Newer Windows systems come
with a new object called Http.sys.
Http.sys shares the same HTTP
IP/Port with many, many other
processes that are also Http.sys
enabled!

Http.sys is always running,
ready to share the IP/Ports
with processes!

And today, more and more
Windows OS and third party
processes, are using Http.sys
and the default HTTP IP/Ports.

Recently, Microsoft's WMC,

<quote>

Basically, Windows Media Connect
is a UPNP server that can be used
to stream media from a Windows XP
box to any UPNP compatible consumer
electronics device, such as the
GoVideo Networked DVD player.

</quote>

Windows Media Connect
http://blogs.msdn.com/smakofsky/archive/2004/10/13/241774.aspx

started using address
192.x.x.x (and others)
with Http.sys.

Jeff

Leif W
2005-01-07 23:39:50 UTC
Joe Smith; 2005 January 07 Friday 10:52
I added the line LimitRequestBody 204800000 to
/usr/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf, in order to maximize the upload file
First of all, is that the correct context? According to the manual (
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody ), this
directive can appear in the main server config or in virtual server (
<VirtualHost> ) sections. It may be that you have put the directive in
the main server config, yet you're trying to control the VirtualHost and
it's not being seen or inherited. I do not know if this directive in a
server context will automatically be inherited by a virtual server. It
may be. Perhaps someone else can shed light upon that behavior.
size. Currently, the Apache web server returns HTTP response
"HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large" immediately to the browser if
file size > 10MB.
Second of all, there may be other mechanisms which are limiting file
upload size besides Apache. Are you using a specific script to upload
the file? The scripting engine (such as PHP) can configure and impose
its own file upload limitations, for instance, and an upload script may
be written in such a way as to produce an error response with headers as
you've shown. So can Perl's CGI.pm module.
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
any ideas? please help. thanks!!
If you change an Apache config, and do not see the expected results,
it's either the wrong config file, wrong context, possibly wrong syntax
(even though a syntax check is OK and Apache starts without error
messages and runs normally except for the behavior you're trying to
modify), or possibly something outside of Apache. If it is within
Apache, check your error logs to see and verify at what point the
failure occurs if it's caused by Apache.

Leif

Joe Smith
2005-01-08 03:17:24 UTC
Where is the conf file for VirtualHost setting? I already put LimitRequestBody 204800000 in /usr/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf. There is a virtual host section in httpd.conf? I couldn't see that and I put along with other settings likd KeepAlive, TimeOut, etc...

The following files are in /usr/HTTPServer/conf

admin.conf 4,292 2005-01-06 19:46:54
admin.conf.20050106 4,265 2005-01-06 19:46:13
admin.msg.en_US 8,183 2004-11-10 23:13:27
httpd.conf 23,340 2005-01-06 19:10:52
httpd.conf.default 22,724 2004-11-10 23:13:25
httpd.conf.sample 47,016 2004-11-10 23:13:24
ldap.prop.sample 8,137 2004-11-10 23:13:26
magic 12,965 2004-04-06 12:14:53
magic.default 12,965 2004-11-10 23:13:25
mime.types 12,459 2004-11-10 23:26:11
mime.types.default 12,381 2004-11-10 23:13:24

Zoe Ballz
2005-01-08 03:26:51 UTC
The VirtualHost section is in httpd.conf - right at the very end of the file.

All the best

Zoe

Joe Smith
2005-01-09 03:13:41 UTC
This is the existing virtual host portion in httpd.config, can I just put LimitRequestBody 204800000 in here also, then it should be fine? Please advise more. thanks!!

# Disable HTTP Trace
<VirtualHost cidc2903.axt.com>
ServerName cidc2903.axt.com
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>

Joe Smith
2005-01-11 02:20:35 UTC
I added the line LimitRequestBody 204800000 in both the server section and virtual host section in
/usr/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf, in order to maximize the upload file size. It is still not working, I couldn't see any other configurations there.

Please advise if anyone knows this. I really appreciate it. thanks!!

This is the portion of the file:

Timeout 300
LimitRequestBody 204800000
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

//etc...

http://mail.yahoo.com
Joe Smith
2005-01-12 05:39:52 UTC
LimitRequestBody directive (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody)
in httpd.conf is used to specify the limit on the allowed size of an HTTP request.
According to the doc., if I don't want any limit, then I don't need to add this
directive in httpd.conf. Correct?

Then how come I keep getting this HTTP response when I upload > 10MB files in my JSP application.
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Even I added this directive, it is still unable to upload a file > 10MB. I really feel
very frustrated now, and have no clue what to do next.

please advise. thanks!!